Tuesday 23 July 2013

Faster! Faster!

So, today I decided I would try and "swap" the top rotor in my Leslie so it would spin the opposite direction to the bottom rotor. Things didn't quite exactly go to plan, but I made my Leslie speed up quicker; which is a good thing for me.

Inside of my Leslie.
So, heres the view inside the Leslie. You can see the top motor roughly halfway up and on the lefthand side. It has its own little box. The idea would be to remove this and swap the stator around (as mentioned on organ forum) thus reversing the direction of the motor.

Upper motor.
Here you can see the disconnected belt and the butterfly nuts used to move the motor and thus tighten the belt. You can't see in the picture but theres three screws on that metal plate which hold the motor onto it.



Upper motor outside of cabinet.
Heres the motor outside of the Leslie cabinet, on closer inspection once I had taken it out, I don't think a reversal can be done with this motor. The fast and slow are controlled by two different motors, the small one on the bottom and the big one on the top. However I did notice the nut which controlled the amount of contact the pin had in relation to the fast motor. I tweaked this untill the pin fell away fairly quickly when the fast speed was selected, making sure it wasn't loose enough that things started slipping.
The nut I was talking about.
A quick tip I can give for putting in the motor is to prop it up with something while screwing the plate back on, makes it much easier than trying to hold the motor up and screw at the same time. A few turns on each screw is enough to hold the motor once the box is removed so you can tighten them properly.
I knew I would find a use for that old lightbulb box on my desk.
So overall I would call this a success, I definitely prefer the fast motor engaging faster. I am also enjoing my increased motivation to practise more often, as i'm currently working on Green onions and one of Bach's little preludes, info on those to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment